Main Hall, 1908
The Archives contain historical records of Regis University. First begun by the Jesuits as Las Vegas College, NM in 1877, that institution remained in New Mexico until 1887. Meanwhile, an additional college, The College of the Sacred Heart was opened in Morrison, CO. in 1884. When land was donated on the trolley line in Denver, the college moved to its present site in 1887. In 1921, the name was changed to Regis College, and in 1992 it became Regis University. Records of the Jesuits and early Catholic presence in New Mexico and Colorado are also included in the Archives.
Loretto Heights Academy, constuction of the Administration Building, 1890
In November 1891, nineteen Sisters of Loretto at the Foot of the Cross and fifty-one students move into the Administration Building, of the new Loretto Heights Academy, an elementary and secondary school for girls. In 1918, college course were added though the school continued its secondary courses until 1941. The name became Loretto Heights College in 1947. It was the only women's college in the Rocky mountain area until 1960.
A degree was awarded in Nursing Education in 1936, which became a four-year degree in 1956. University Without Walls began in 1971 as an innovative degree program for non-traditional students. From 1970 - 1988, the school became co-educational. University Without Walls began in 1971 as an innovative degree program for non-traditional students. Loretto Heights College closed in 1988, and merged with Regis University. The Archives of Loretto Heights College are housed at Regis University
The Jesuitica Collection includes both publications and unpublished manuscripts describing the Jesuit mission in the Southwest. The Jesuit records include the founding of Regis University, originally called the College of the Sacred Heart, as well as their work in the early parishes of Colorado and New Mexico.
Regis University Archives and Special Collections is located on the fourth floor of Regis University Library. The collections do not circulate and may be accessed only in the Reading Room.
The Reading Room is open on Tuesdays from 10:00am- 12:00pm and Thursdays from 1:00pm – 3:00pm.
Drop ins are welcome during these hours, however patrons are strongly encouraged to book an appointment with the archivist ahead of time. Patrons that have not set an appointment are not guaranteed consultation with the archivist at time of arrival.
During academic interims and other University closures the reading room will be closed. Please contact Archives and Special Collections at 303.964.3612 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.